Carr Fire

Shasta County:

If you can not find what you are looking for here, call 211 or head to this link.

FEMA applications and help.  Scroll down for more information about the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center.

Air Quality Chart from the Shasta County Operational Area Emergency Operations Center.

City of Redding has a series of maps of the fire area here.

Salvation Army is taking donations at their office, 2691 Larkspur Lane in Redding. Only new items can be accepted.  Items needed include pillow and blankets, water and sports drinks, fruits and vegetables and any size and gender tee shirts, socks and underwear.  Online donations can be made at this link.

The Lions Club has a relief center in Cobblestone Center, 110 Hartnell Avenue Suite 60, open seven days a week 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.  The center provides food, personal care items and cleanup supplies for individuals and families impacted by the Carr Fire.  For further information contact the relief center at (530) 515-4464.

The Carr Fire missing person hotline is up and running.  First, see if your loved one is listed here this Red Cross site.  If the Red Cross does not have a record of your loved one having checked in to a shelter, call 530-225-4277.  This is for the City of Redding and unincorporated Shasta County only.

If your home was destroyed by the fire:
Homes that have sustained more than 50 percent damage and require a complete rebuild: Starting Monday, August 13, the two-phase, six-step process of removing household hazardous waste and fire-related debris from destroyed homes will begin.  During Phase I, California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) teams – with assistance from Shasta County Environmental Health – will inspect your property and sweep any household hazardous waste that may pose a threat to human health, animals and the environment. The process is expected to take several weeks. These teams are specially trained and equipped to identify and remove hazardous waste. Their mission is to take away harmful household hazardous waste such as batteries, identifiable asbestos, pesticides, cleaning products and paints. There is no cost to the property owner for this work and you do not need to fill out a request to participate. The owner is not able to opt out of this first step of the cleanup process since the hazardous waste is considered a threat to the public health. DTSC will maintain an online dashboard so the public can see when the removal is complete, which will be available Monday (the 13th) at More information about this process is also available on that website.

Further information will be provided on Phase II regarding ash and debris in the near future.

If your home was damaged, but not destroyed in the fire
Partially damaged homes will be included in the household hazardous waste sweep only if it is safe to do so.

As you return, you will see one of three different tags posted by the City of Redding Building Department.  Green tag means the structure is safe for occupancy as long as you have water, electricity and gas service.  A Yellow tag means the structure is habitable, but requires repairs that require permits from the city or county.  A red tag means “limited entry.”  The property is not safe to live in, but you may access it to search for valuables at your own risk.  In some cases, there is a handwritten note on the red tags that reads, “not safe-do not enter.”  Do not enter.

As you return home, note that many things that did not burn have been ruined by smoke, chemicals and water.  Carefully clean these items if you wish to keep them.  Also note, discard any food that requires refrigeration.  This includes food in the fridge, all frozen food (it has thawed and refrozen and is bad) any food exposed to heat, smoke, fire retardant and foam or other chemicals, food with an unusual odor, color or texture, cans of food containers that are bulging, open or dented, food not in waterproof containers or cans, food canned at home, food in cardboard containers (juice, milk, and baby formula), food in containers with screw caps, snap lids, crimped caps, twist caps, flip tops and snap tops.  If in doubt, throw it out.  Under the local health emergency declaration, no removal of Carr Fire debris shall occur without first having a hazardous materials inspection from the California Department of Toxic Substances Control or the U. S. EPA.  This is for fire debris, not the removal of personal property.

Household hazardous waste should not be included in your regular waste.  Leave it in place.  these items include toxic chemicals, items labeled Caution, Warning, Danger, Poison, Toxic, Flammable or Corrosive.

Ash cleanup can be dangerous.  Remember the three Cs: Control, Cleanup and Capture.  Control: try to control the amount of ash particles stirred into the air.  Do not use leaf blowers, shop vacuums or any equipment that blows ash into the air.  Instead, lightly mist ash with water before sweeping.  Do not soak.  Cleanup: use a damp cloth or mop; use as little water as you can.  A vacuum may be used only with a HEPA filter.  Capture: collect ash into containers or double bag and dispose in regular trash.  DO NOT push ash into a storm drain.  Ash is highly acidic.  Avoid skin contact.  Wash it off immediately.  Wear N95 or P-100 mask, work gloves and long sleeve shirt and long pants when working with ash.  If you have ash indoors commercial cleaning may be required for carpet and upholstery items.  Don’t forget to change your air conditioning filter.  Wildfire kits will be provided (based on availability) at re-entry points and at the Local Assistance Center (see below).

Curbside waste collection operations will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day.  Up to 96 gallons of additional waste (over and above the household’s regular collection cart) will be collected for free on the first regularly scheduled collection day.  Bag the additional wastes and place it next to the cart.  This additional waste is limited to perishable items that spoiled during evacuation periods.

Even more information on recovery from the Shasta County Operational Area Emergency Operations Center

FEMA has opened a Disaster Recovery Center in the old K-Mart Building on Hilltop Drive.  Be sure to bring these along with you: a photo ID, household income information and insurance documents.  The center will be open daily from 9:00am to 7:00pm.  Many government and non-profit agencies are there to help you.

A FEMA home inspection is a part of the process for verifying damage and loss for applicants following the Carr Fire. Keep in mind the following information so you know what to expect:

Setting up the Inspection

  • Typically, after you register for FEMA assistance, you will be contacted by a FEMA inspector. Their phone number may be from out of state, or show up on your caller ID as unavailable, so be sure to answer the phone.
  • If you need reasonable accommodation or language translation service during a FEMA home inspection, call FEMA toll – free at 800-621-3362. For TTY call 800-462-7585.
  • The inspector will already have the application number assigned to you at registration. They will not ask for any personal identifiable information by phone.
  • When the FEMA inspector calls, write down:
    • The inspector’s name
    • Date of call
    • Date and time of appointment, and
    • Inspector’s telephone number
  • The inspector will try three times on different days and different times of the day. If you cannot be reached by phone, a letter will be sent to the address provided at the time of registration.
  • If you are contacted by a home inspector but no one in your household applied for FEMA disaster assistance, you should request to withdraw the application.

The Inspection

  • When the inspector arrives, ask for official identification. FEMA shirts, hats and jackets do not make them official.
  • The inspector badge is government property and it is unlawful to duplicate.

Do not attempt to photograph the badge. If an inspector refuses to show identification, request they leave and return with it.

  • The inspector will have the application number assigned to you at registration. You may ask the inspector to give it to you.
  • Through advances in imaging technology, the FEMA inspector may already know the level of damages to your home and therefore not require a site inspection and or need to meet in person. In these instances, the inspector will confirm the information provided at the time of registration recording disaster caused personal losses through a telephone interview. When the inspector is unaware of damages to your residence, a site inspection will be necessary.
  • When a FEMA inspector comes to your damaged home, he or
  • she will verify your name, damaged home address, current mailing address and phone numbers. FEMA inspectors will not ask for your registration number, since they already have it.
  • Inspectors may ask to see documentation to verify the following information
    • The damaged home is your primary residence
    • You are the owner of the home (not applicable to renters)You/your household occupied the home at the time of the disaster
    • The number of bedrooms occupied at the time of the disaster
    • Your household composition, or the people living in your home
    • The time when damage occurred to your home
    • Insurance coverage on your home
  • The inspector will assess and verify damage caused by the disaster. There is never an inspection fee. Generally, the inspection lasts about 30 minutes.
  • The inspector does not determine eligibility or the amount of financial assistance you may be eligible to receive.
  • Remember: FEMA never charges a fee for an inspection. The inspector will never ask for bank information.
  • After your home inspection has taken place, a record of the disaster-caused damages is given to FEMA. From that record your eligibility for disaster assistance will be determined.
  • If you qualify for a grant, within 7 to 10 days after your application, FEMA will send you:
    • A check by mail or a direct deposit into your checking or savings account, and
    • A letter describing how you are to use the money.
  • There are multiple categories of assistance, so it is possible to qualify for more than one. Your determination letter will specify the category of assistance. Be sure to use the money as explained in the letter and keep records and receipts for at least three years, showing how you used the funds for disaster recovery.
  • If you do not qualify for a grant, FEMA will send you a determination letter. You may always appeal the decision.
  • If you suspect an inspector isn’t who they say they are, tell them to leave immediately and call local law enforcement.

United Way of Northern California has opened the Shasta County Fire Relief Fund grant application process. The fire relief fund, established in partnership with Tri Counties Bank, will provide emergency cash grants to residents affected by the Carr Fire. Grants will be awarded to those who have whose homes have been destroyed or damaged, or have incurred a financial hardship in excess of $500, due to the Carr Fire. Proof of identity and verification of residence are required. Final decisions on grant awards are at the discretion of United Way, which will support fire victims until the fund is depleted. “These grants are intended to put a few hundred dollars in the pockets of victims while they look to get back on their feet,” said Larry Olmstead, President & CEO of United Way of Northern California. “It won’t be enough to replace a house, or do major repairs, but as we meet clients they are very appreciative of any help they can get during this time of disruption and dislocation.”  Applications are available for download at  Applications will also be available during regular business hours at the United Way of Northern California office located at 2280 Benton Drive, Building B, Redding. Applications are available in English and Spanish.

Commander Steve Sweet of Samuel Burney American Legion Post 441 has announced that Post 441 is establishing a special fund to help veterans in the Redding area who have been adversely impacted by the Carr Fire. On behalf of Intermountain area veterans, as well as citizens and businesses in the local community who have contributed to Post 441 over the years, and on behalf of Redding area veterans in need, the Post is donating $2,000 to establish the Carr Fire Veterans Assistance and Relief Fund. Any Redding area U.S. military veteran who requires assistance as a result of this disastrous fire can contact Post 441 for assistance; they do not need to be a member of the American Legion or any other veteran’s organization to qualify. Any veteran who is in need as a result of the fire and who has a DD-214 or other acceptable form of veteran status is eligible. Determination of eligibility and distribution of assistance will be handled by the Ladies’ Auxiliary of American Legion Post 197 in Redding. Those veterans seeking assistance should contact Bob Boyce, Post Adjutant for Samuel Burney American Legion Post 441 at (530) 335-6023.

The Shasta County Assessor-Recorder says property owners who have lost or sustained damage to their property as a result of the Carr Fire in Shasta County may be eligible for a reduction in the assessed value of that property.  There must be at least $10,000 damage to the market value of the property. Contact the Assessor’s Office for a Claim For Disaster Relief by calling 530-225-3600 or at this link where you can print the form.  The claim must be filed within 60 days of the date of damage to the property.

When you return home after the evacuation to find looters have hit please call the Redding Police Department as soon as possible.  The number is 225-4200.  Prepare an itemized list of stolen property including serial numbers if possible.  An officer will contact you as soon as possible.

Food Banks for fire victims include the Shasta Senior Nutrition Programs, 100 Mercy Oaks Dr.  Call first to 530-226-3071.  The Good News Rescue Mission, 3075 Veda St., Redding at 530-241-5754.

N95 breathing masks available at: Everything Medical, 2376 Athens Ave.; Shasta County Owens Pharmacy locations; New West Medical, 2971 Churn Creek Rd.; Medical Home Care Professionals, 2115 Churn Creek Rd.; SavMor Foods, 6536 Westside Rd.; Shasta County Holiday Markets; Wright Education Services, 2660 Victor; Safeway at 2601 Balls Ferry Rd., Anderson; Ferry’s Pharmacy, 2940 East St., Anderson; Rite Aid Pharmacy, 3095 McMurray Dr., Anderson